What is BULATS?
The Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) is a computer-based set of workplace language assessment, training and benchmarking tools. They are aligned with Levels B1 to C1 of the Common Europe Framework of Reference for Languages (an internationally recognized benchmark of language ability).
Who is the BULATS exam for and why should I take it?
BULATS is used internationally for business and industry recruitment, for identifying and delivering training, for admission to study business-related courses and for assessing the effectiveness of language courses and training.
BULATS offers you:
- Fast, accurate and affordable language assessment
for recruitment, internal appointments, and to measure the effectiveness of language courses and training
- Internationally accepted language testing
aligned with international standards and recognised by employers and government agencies around the world
- Powerful language auditing tools
to help you make critical recruitment and training decisions
- Flexible preparation courses
so you can offer language training that fits around busy schedules.
What is the format of the exam?
- Computer-based Reading and Listening test (must be taken together, duration about an hour) has two sections .The questions are displayed on-screen, and candidates respond using the keyboard and mouse. As each question is answered, the computer assesses the response and selects the next question. The questions are selected according to whether the candidate’s previous answer was right or wrong; in this way, the questions become progressively easier or harder until the system has a reliable assessment of the candidate’s level.
- Computer-based Speaking test (duration about 15 minutes; 5 parts) and computer-based Writing test (duration 45 minutes, 2 parts) are presented via the computer screen.
- All tasks and topics set in real-life work contexts
- Tests can be taken together or in any combination
BULATS test results are presented in a clear and easy-to-understand test report form which can be produced for individuals or groups.
The test report form shows:
- an overall score
- a score for each language skill – Reading and Listening, Speaking and Writing.
Results are provided immediately for Reading and Listening tests and within five business days for Writing and Speaking tests.
There is no ‘pass’ mark – BULATS Reading and Listening scores are on a scale of 1–100 and Writing and Speaking test on a scale of 1-10.
|BULATS score||Level description||ALTE level||CEFR level|